For the past 33 years, The Arts Council has presented the prestigious Marvin S. Cone Annual High School Juried Art Show. It was a rainy night for the awards presentations, but we managed to make due switching gears to make the announcements from inside the gallery.
Established in 1987, the Marvin S. Cone Annual High School Juried Art Show honors its founder and his enthusiasm for young people, the arts, and his timeless effort in making the event what it is today. Mr. Cone was a local writer, poet, art collector, entrepreneur, and educator. Inspired by the creativity of art students in Martin County, he encouraged them to pursue even greater achievements by transforming the annual high school art exhibit into an event that truly recognized student’s artistic accomplishments.
The judge for this year’s exhibition was artist Carol Staub. Exhibit chair will once again be Tom Prestopnik. Sponsors include Palm City Art & Frame, Fox McCluskey Bush Robison PLLC, Publix Super Markets Charities, David Golden, and Geico Misty Moody.
Honorable Mention Awards (across category):
1) “Dirty Laundry” by Anna Gray
2) “Thinking About Diversity” by Mika Fowler
3) “Driftwood Beach, Jekyll Island” by Alexia French
4) “Railways” by Dina Coletti
5) “Stacked” by Ryan Ehrlich
6) “Savior of Innocence” by Isabella Gallese
7) “Fall Harvest” by Chelsea Monet
8) “Nuvoloso” by Teagan Habicht
9) “Cocoon” by Edward Dunn
10) “Tiger” by Cassidy Bean
11) “McCharles Smith” by Katherine Gorham
3rd Place: “Gucci Linen” by Madeline Corella
2nd Place: “Her Eyes Were Like Saucers” by Shannon Lindsay
1st Place: “Rhinoceros Beetle” by Amelia Stebbing
For Mixed Media:
3rd Place: “Elegance” by Aleesia Wise
2nd Place: “Sugar Coated Distress” Marina Golino
1st Place: “Sicilian Layers” by Nina Curto
1st Place: “Hidden Dangers” by Riki Russell
2nd Place: “Trashy Classy” by Caroline Rouse
1st Place: “Struggles Within” by Kristy Diaz
For Photography/Digital Prints:
3rd Place: “Untitled” by Abigail Wilcox
2nd Place: “Scent-imental” by Katie Koedam
1st Place: “Bottomed Out” by Jacqueline Rouse
For Best of Show: “That Damn Bag!” by Michael Rizzo, South Fork High School
The Purchase Awards are selected by representatives of the organizations named. Students works are purchased by these entities and then are displayed at the locations. It’s a big honor to be selected for a purchase award.
- Superintendent’s Purchase Award: “Scent-imental” by Katie Koedam
- Jensen Beach High School Purchase Award: “Safe Haven” by Kylela Covell
- Martin County High School Purchase Award: “Enchanted” by Alexis Dodge
- South Fork High School Purchase Award: “The Tenuous Sea” by Caroline Curl
- Clark Advanced Learning Center Purchase Award: “Autumn Wolf” by Miguel Paes and “Abstract Dancer” by Kaitlyn Berger
- Pine School Purchase Award: “Lavender Garden” by Maria Di Edigio
- Supervisor of Elections Purchase Award: “Local Legacies” by Alexandra Trejo
- The Historical Society of Martin County Purchase Award: “Der Jäger” by Abrielle Marksteiner
- Children’s Services Council: “Angelica” by Faith Hill
- Zweben Law Group: “Untitled” by Abigail Wilcox
Thank you to Sharon Hagin for taking photographs!
The Arts Council is the designated local arts agency for Martin County and provides services to visual and performing artists, arts organizations, students and the public. It strives to instill a passion for- and participation in – the arts. For more, call 772-287-6676 or visit MartinArts.org.