Building Audiences through Access: Customers with Disabilities Mean Business!
We spent a very informative morning with Marian Winters from VSA Florida learning about accessibility and the benefits of being full accessible to our community. As the former, executive director of VSA, she shared a wealth of knowledge and resources with us! And we brought some local experts who can help guide us as we plan from here forward. Thank you to Rick Kottler, Deaf & Hard of Hearing Services of the Treasure Coast, and Suzy Hutcheson and France Mason, from Helping People Succeed.
Organizational Benefits of Inclusion:
- New Audience members
- New visitors to facilities- students, parents and family friends
- Opportunity to have access training for staff
- Opportunity to have an access review of facility and to work with staff on best practices
- Good press, more publicity
- Good for Grant writing
- Loyal audience
- Little competition
- You are serving your entire community
- Amazing resource as volunteers, accessibility advisors, and event advocates.
Accessible Event Ideas:
- Touch tours
- Back stage tours
- Audio description
- Shadow Interpretation
- Sensory Friendly Events
For a variety of resources here in Florida, visit the VSA Florida website.
Also, the National Endowment for the Arts has a great PDF resource that can help: Get it Here.